This easy Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan is the best weekday dinner recipe. Made in the crock pot with seasoned breaded chicken breasts, marinara sauce, and cheese.
This time of year I rely heavily on crock pot dinners. You just can’t beat the convenience of having ready-made meals ready after a busy night. It’s nice when dinner time is right when you walk in the door.
Being a pasta lover, of course I adore making traditional chicken parmesan. It’s one of our family favorites. Yet what I don’t like is the hassle of making it, especially if it’s a fried recipe. This crockpot chicken parmesan recipe is so simple to throw together and it tastes incredible!
When ordering chicken parmesan at the restaurant, sometimes it’s way too thin and dry. I love cooking it in the crock-pot because it results in the most juicy chicken and such a delicious breading. This slow cooker version most certainly deserved its spot in our best slow cooker recipes collection.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan
The full recipe is on the card below, yet here ate the ingredients you’ll need:
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- panko bread crumbs
- Italian seasoning
- garlic powder
- black pepper
- kosher salt
- parmesan cheese
- spaghetti sauce / pasta sauce
- mozzarella cheese
- marinara sauce
- fresh parsley
To Make: Spray the inside of the crock pot with cooking spray (or you can use olive oil). Then pour the jar of spaghetti sauce into the slow cooker.
Crack the eggs into a small bowl and whisk. In another separate shallow bowl add the bread crumbs, seasoning, garlic powder, pepper, salt, and parmesan cheese. Mix the dry ingredients to combine.
Place the two bowls alongside the slow cooker, and dip one chicken breast into the egg mixture to coat all sides. Then roll the same chicken breast around in the bread crumb mixture until all sides are coated. Place the breaded chicken on top of the sauce in the slow cooker.
Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts, assembly line fashion. Make sure to place the chicken pieces in a single layer in the slow cooker.
If you overlap the chicken pieces, they won’t cook evenly and some of the breading might come off or get rubbed off. Give them some space for best results.
Top chicken breasts with the shredded cheese, and then finish with the marinara sauce on the top. Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 5-6 hours.
Make sure to check out the tips section below, for a time saving method to cook this recipe, yet still using the slow cooker.
What to Serve with Crock Pot Chicken Parmesan
I like to serve this delicious recipe over a bed of cooked spaghetti noodles. I’ve made this recipe with extra tomato sauce in mind, to serve over pasta. Yet feel free to add more if you like your pasta extra-extra saucy.
You can also serve this easy dinner idea with crusty bread or garlic bread. The beauty of cooking in the crock-pot means that you’ve freed up the ovenspace, so go ahead and place some bread on a baking sheet, there’s room to cook your sides.
You can also skip the bread as a side dish, and put your chicken parmesan right into a crusty roll, to make a submarine sandwich for a delicious meal. It’s a good idea for the next day, or to change up the meal.
Crockpot Chicken Parmesan Tips:
- You can decrease the slow cooking time by cutting your chicken breasts in half diagonally, so they are half as thick. If you do so, cook for 5 hours on low or 4 hours on high. In this case you’ll need only 2-3 boneless chicken breasts for this easy recipe.
- I add the mozzarella to the chicken, and then the sauce, so the cheese melts and helps everything to stick to the chicken. Sometimes I reserve a bit of the shredded cheese and top the entire dish at the end as well. After all, that golden brown crusty cheese is a famous part of any favorite italian dish. Yet this is an extra step (because, cheese), so it’s not necessary if not preferred.
The chicken is so very tender that you could easily shred it right in the slow cooker and dump in some cooked penne pasta to make a chicken parmesan pasta.
Keep this in mind, because you can use leftovers for chicken parmesan sliders, or cook this with appetizer sandwiches as the intent. Doesn’t that sound perfect for game day?
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- CrockPot Honey Garlic Chicken Legs
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken Marsala
- Slow Cooker Mississippi Chicken
- Crock-pot Orange Chicken
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 650ml spaghetti sauce
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 650ml marinara sauce
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- Spray the inside of the crock pot with cooking spray. Add in the spaghetti sauce.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl and whisk. In another small bowl add the bread crumbs, seasoning, garlic powder, pepper, salt, and parmesan cheese. Mix to combine.
- Place the two bowls alongside the slow cooker, and dip one chicken breast into the egg mixture to coat all sides. Then roll the same chicken breast around in the bread crumb mixture until all sides are coated. Place the breaded chicken on top of the sauce in the slow cooker. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts, placing them in a single layer in the slow cooker.
- Top chicken breasts with the shredded cheese, and then finish with the marinara sauce on the top.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 5-6 hours. (see notes below regarding cooking time)
- Serve with parsley for garnish.
You can decrease the cooking time by cutting your chicken breasts in half diagonally so they are half as thick. (5 hours on low, 4 hours on high)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 676Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 239mgSodium: 2360mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 8gSugar: 20gProtein: 61g
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.
If you are looking for more slow cooker chicken recipes, why not go right to the source! The Canadian Chicken website has so many great recipes to keep the ‘same old’ far far away. I have my eye on the Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken recipe for next week. Yet I know that when winter is here full force, this Vietnamese Noodle Soup is going to be highly needed.
Chicken Farmers of Canada provides more than just delicious recipes, of course. They are my go-to when it comes to choosing the best chicken for myself and my family. Because great recipes start with the right ingredients.
When shopping at your grocer, look for that signature Canadian Chicken Farmers logo on the package. This logo assures you that you’re supporting Canadian family-owned businesses, our economy, and getting a high quality tasting meat.
As a reminder, if your grocer doesn’t provide theirs customers with the “Raised by a Canadian Farmer” brand, simply ask them to. Yes, it’s just that easy to advocate for our own hardworking Canadian farmers.
WIN IT: Chicken Farmers of Canada have teamed up with myself and their other Canadian Ambassadors for a sweet giveaway. One winner will get a Ninja Foodi 8-Quart 12-in-1 Deluxe XL Pressure Cooker Air Fryer AND a FoodSaver Vacuum Sealing System.
This contest ends on October 4-25th. Prizing is open to residents of Canada who are 18 years of age and older.