Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Legs are a quick and easy crockpot meal. The result is fall off the bone chicken with a delicious coating of sticky sweet honey garlic sauce.
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Legs
While I love the ease and convenience of slow cooker recipes all year long, it’s this time of year that my crockpot really gets a workout. With every meal ready when I walk in the door after a long day, I’m reminded why the slow cooker is the most used small appliance in my home.
Our calendars are getting more packed with tasks and the days are becoming chillier, so the comfort of a slow cooked meal is more than welcome. Let’s just call this month Crocktober!
Some of my favourite crock pot recipes are Slow Cooker Butter Chicken and Slow Cooker Mississippi Chicken and Potatoes. Yet this particular Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken recipe really stands out for its outstanding flavour. It’ll quickly become one a favourite for the whole family.
You’ll probably have most of the ingredients for this recipe in your pantry already, making it a simple and inexpensive meal to make. It calls for a few ingredients, and takes just a few minutes to prepare.
My tip is to prepare the crockpot in the morning while the kids are eating breakfast and packing their lunches. In just minutes your dinner is prepped and starting to cook.
Then, there’s really is nothing like coming home to the most intoxicating smell that is honey garlic sauce and a meal ready and waiting for you to devour.
Best of all, this crockpot chicken drumsticks recipe yields enough of that sticky sweet sauce that you’ll want to spoon over everything!
I love rice as a side with this meal, it completes that asian taste. I also like to serve with a crisp green salad or steamed vegetables.
In my recipe card, you’ll see ingredients and instructions on thickening the honey garlic sauce. Completely optional, yet most would prefer a sticky thick sauce. It’s a simple step to take 30 minutes before eating. Just remove the chicken, set the slow cooker to high, add in the slurry, add back in the chicken and allow it to simmer until it’s thickened.
Yes, you absolutely can! If you choose to make this recipe with chicken thighs, cook on low for 5 hours. If you’re trying it with boneless chicken breasts, it might take 6-7 hours. Either way, make sure the internal temperature is 165 degrees.
Want more Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes to try?
- Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken
- Crockpot Orange Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala
- Cowboy Chicken Chili Casserole – from Chicken.ca
- Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore with a Kick – from Chicken.ca
While it’s optional to use chicken legs/drumsticks or thighs for this recipe, there’s one particular kind that you should be reaching for when at the grocer.
Always look for that Raised By a Chicken Farmer Logo, and know that you’re choosing a healthy choice that is grain-fed and free of added hormones and steroids. If you can’t find chicken with this logo, make sure to ask your grocer.
What does this logo tell you? That it’s raised right here in Canada according to nationally-set, high food safety and animal care standards.
It’s your way of knowing that you’re supporting local farmers, and feeding your family with quality you can trust. Taking it one step farther, Chicken Farmers of Canada consistently work to help those most in need. Every year they make regular donations of food and money to local food banks too.
I’m hosting a wonderful giveaway with Canadian Chicken Farmers, to help you make this most of your #Crocktober – make sure to enter at the end of this blog post!
- 2.5 lbs Chicken Drumsticks/Legs
- salt and pepper to season
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp onion, finely chopped
- optional: sesame seeds and chopped green onion for garnish
SLURRY TO THICKEN
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 4 tbsp water
- Spray the inside of the slow cooker and turn on to low setting
- Salt and pepper the chicken as desired
- Place water into the crockpot and then add the chicken making a layer on the bottom.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, ketchup, garlic and onion.
- Pour over the chicken, place the lid on and cook for 4.5 hours.
- If you want to thicken the sauce: remove chicken after 4.5 hours and make the slurry with the corn starch and water. Whisk into the liquid inside the crockpot, and turn onto high setting. Place the chicken back into the slow cooker and cook, lid off, for about another 30 minutes.
- serve over rice with your choice of vegetable side or salad.
- top with sesame seeds and chopped green onion for garnish, optional yet recommended
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 497Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 240mgSodium: 1060mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 48g
ENTER TO WIN!
Win a fantastic prize pack to complete your #CrocktoberChicken. Valued at $500, it’ll consist of a Crock-Pot® Multi-Cooker, FoodSaver Vacuum Sealing System, and Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
Enter below and good luck!