This French Onion Chicken Bake is a quick and easy baked chicken recipe for fellow french onion soup lovers, complete with caramelized onions and a blend of two cheeses.
French Onion Chicken Bake
Those that love my Easy French Onion Soup recipe will fall head over heals in love with this easy baked chicken dish.
I love simple chicken dinners, especially when it’s in casserole form like my Chicken Stuffing Bake. Not only are they a true comfort food, but chicken casseroles like these fit so well into chaotic daily life.
One might think this would be the ideal recipe for fall, and it is. Yet I made this recently, on a cool rainy summer day – and it was just the recipe to combat the gloominess.
This french onion smothered chicken recipe produces tender and juicy chicken breasts topped with caramelized onions and glorious melted mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
Since this is a perfect keto or low carb chicken dish, you can also serve alongside Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Mash!
Baked French Onion Chicken Ingredients:
- Low Sodium Beef Broth
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Chicken Breasts, halved diagonally if thick
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Parmesean Cheese
How to Caramelize Onions:
This French Onion Baked Chicken recipe includes a topping of beautiful caramelized onions. It really makes the recipe, and ordinary sliced onions will not be the same. Here’s how to make them great:
- Sauté Onions In Butter Until Transparent and Soft: This first step is essential. Once they are soft, transparent and start to brown a little, they are done.
- Add Beef Broth and Balsamic Vinegar: This not only adds flavour but also stops the onions from drying out while they cook.
- Garlic and Spices: More flavour is infused while the onions take on a sweet, jam-like consistency. Make sure to scrape up any of those browned bits from the onions when you stir.
For More Chicken Recipes
- One Pan Orange Chicken
- Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken
- Baked Chicken Spaghetti
- Stuffed Tuscan Chicken
- Baked Chicken Marinara
- 4 Onions, peeled and sliced
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 2/3 cup Low Sodium Beef Broth
- 2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 4 Chicken Breasts, boneless skinless
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesean Cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking dish with cooking spray
- Add butter to a large skillet on med to high heat. Add in sliced onions and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat on the pan to medium and add in the garlic, pepper and thyme and cook for another minute
- Stir in the beef broth and the balsamic vinegar and cook until the onions have a jam-like consistency, about 10 minutes.
- When onions are caramelized, place about 1/3 of the mixture into the bottom of the greased baking dish.
- Place chicken on top of the onions and sprinkle with the salt.
- Place remaining onions on top of the chicken along with the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the chicken has a safe internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- - If your chicken breasts are thick, cut in half diagonally. Make sure all are about the same size.
- - Add in more of the spices if desired
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 492Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 165mgSodium: 960mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 49g