Upgrade your basic pecan pie with this make-ahead Southern Chocolate Pecan Tart. With a pie crust, the filling is like pecan bars but extra good because it includes chocolate.
Chocolate Pecan Tart
Yet aside from your own holiday treat tray, sometimes you need a full-on dessert like a pie or tart. This recipe actually is a bit of both!
I love that this chocolate pecan tart recipe has a basic pie crust. It holds the filling in well, makes it simple to cut and serve. And, you just can’t beat pie!
How to Make Chocolate Pecan Tart
CRUST: You start with a store-bought pie crust. While you could totally make your own, I’m all for saving steps in the kitchen. This time of year especially, any time-savers are most welcome
The trick to transferring a rolled out pie crust to a dish, is to gently roll it onto a rolling pin, then unroll into the dish. For years I’d try to fold or quickly toss – yet ripped dough isn’t fun.
CHOCOLATE: Once you have the crust in the dish, sprinkle chocolate chips into the bottom. You can use sweet or semisweet!
This Chocolate Pecan Tart has no corn syrup! This sets this recipe apart from many others.
Instead of using corn syrup for this recipe, make a simple syrup by dissolving sugar into boiling water. It’s easy, and one less ingredient to have on hand. As well, I know some like to avoid corn syrup, so this is a great compromise.
FILLING: One you’ve made the simply syrup, whisk in the eggs, sugar, melted butter, and the vanilla extract. This makes your filling, and it’s poured over the chocolate chips.
PECAN TOPPING: Next you arrange the pecan halves onto the filling, in your desired pattern. Get creative, this tart is all yours!
BAKE: After you’ve dotted with small butter cubes, into the oven it goes. It bakes for about an hour.
Sometimes tarts and pies like these spill over when baking, so don’t forget to put the dish onto a baking sheet that has an edge. You’ll thank me when you don’t have to add ‘clean the oven’ to your holiday to-do list.
Can you Make Chocolate Pecan Tart Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can totally make this tart ahead of time. In fact, you can make this days ahead of time. If you can stay out of it that long, that is.
Since this tart is firm and sturdy, it travels well. Plus, it can be served at room temperature, making it a great holiday potluck dessert.
This tart is a twist on pecan pie without corn syrup. It’s tasty, rich and so full of flavor. Enjoy!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Pecan Pumpkin Pie French Toast Casserole
- Easy No-Bake Pecan Haystacks
- Turtle Thumbprint Cookies
- Kentucky Apple Skillet
- Brownie S’mores Pie
- Whipped Shortbread Cookies
- • 1 store-bought rolled refrigerated pie crust
- • 1/2 cup Simple Syrup (take ¼ cup sugar and ¼ cup boiling water and stir until sugar melts)
- • 2 large Eggs
- • 2/3 cup Granulated Sugar
- • 4 tsp unsalted Butter, melted
- • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- • 1/3 cup Semisweet or Sweet Chocolate Chips
- • 1 1/2 cups Pecans, halved
- • 2 tsp Butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- Make sure rack is in the centre position in the oven, and Preheat 350 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pie dough to a 12-inch round. Wrap dough around rolling pin, and unwrap over a 9-inch tart dish. This is the most effective way to transfer from surface to dish.
- Press dough into bottom of the dish, then up sides of the dish. Then trim the edge of dough.
- In a large bowl combine the sugar and boiling water to make a simple syrup. Then whisk in the eggs, sugar, 4 teaspoons melted butter, and the vanilla extract.
- Scatter chocolate chips evenly in tart shell, then pour filling over chocolate chips.
- Arrange the pecan halves on top, in a desired pattern and dot with the 2 teaspoons chilled butter cubes.
- Place tart dish on a rimmed baking sheet, in case of spillage, and place in preheated oven. Bake about 45 to 60 minutes or until filling is set
- Remove from oven and let tart cool completely before serving.
- Serve with whipped topping and enjoy!
- - Optional: drizzle with bourbon if desired to make it an authentic southern chocolate pecan tart
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 386Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 95mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 3gSugar: 32gProtein: 4g