This Baked Hawaiian Chicken is marinated in a ginger, honey, and pineapple juice mixture then baked to perfection. It’s tender, moist and oh so flavourful.
Baked Hawaiian Chicken
We make chicken a ton in this house, yet our meals are never boring thanks to it being so versatile. Like this Baked Chicken Marinara. Or even these Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs, simple yet full of taste. yum!
One day I realized I hadn’t marinated chicken in a while, and came across a great Baked Hawaiian Chicken recipe that is beyond worthy of a feature here on the blog.
How to make Baked Hawaiian Chicken
It had been a while since we made chicken that was so tender, moist and flavourful. Marinade my friends! This recipe starts with marinating chicken drumsticks and bone-in thighs in a winning mixture which includes pineapple juice, soy sauce, fresh ginger and honey to name a few.
Once the mixture is infused, you bake while turning and glazing with mixture. In fact, this recipe is often referred to as Huli Huli Chicken because it’s the Hawaiian term to turn and turn. When baking this recipe, you turn and glaze, turn and glaze.
Yet some would frown at basting the chicken with mixture that was marinating in raw chicken. So I added the step of boiling the leftover marinade before using as the glaze. Safety first! Yet if you’d like to avoid this step, feel free to make a whole new batch of the marinate used solely for basting.
There’s plenty of varieties when it comes to Hawaiian Chicken, yet this one is simple and so tasty. We very much enjoy making this from time to time, it’s a chicken recipe that never disappoints.
The final result is fall off the bone tender chicken which has a distinct and delicious flavour.
Enjoy this fantastic chicken recipe!
Since chicken is a favourite in our home, make sure to check out our other chicken recipes from salads to wings, pot pies and soups.
Yet don’t forget to try my newest chicken recipe, Honey Dijon Chicken!
If you do happen to have leftover chicken from one of these delicious chicken recipes, make sure to try our Pesto Chicken Quesadillas recipe. It’s one of our favourites!
- 2 lbs bone-in chicken, we used drumsticks and thighs
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 can pineapple chunks in juice, separate juice from chunks and use juice in marinate
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- green onions, for garnish
- In a bowl whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, honey, ginger, pineapple juice, ketchup, broth and garlic. Place mixture into a large ziplock bag. Add the chicken and toss gently to coat. Refrigerate and allow to marinate for a minimum of 2 hours, turning the bag once.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and place the chicken onto a foil-lined cookie sheet. Set aside and dave marinate left in the ziplock.
- Bake chicken in the oven for 35 minutes, or until juices run clear. While chicken is cooking do the step below.
- Empty the remaining marinate in a pot on the stove. Bring to a boil and then cook at medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Once chicken is cooked, turn each piece and baste with marinate. Broil for a few minutes, turn, baste and broil again.
- Remove from the oven, and garnish with pineapple chunks leftover from can, along with chopped green onions. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 6 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381Saturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 126mgSodium: 617mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 22g