These homemade Turtle Cookies are just like the chocolates except soft and chewy. With a caramel thumbprint center, you can’t beat this nutty chocolate caramel combination.
One of my favourite chocolates ever is Turtles, so when a friend made me some of her Turtle Thumbprint Cookies for our annual holiday cookie exchange, I fell in love at first taste.
This was one recipe that I immediately got from her, one that she got from a ladies magazine, yet unknown which one so I can’t give credit.
Yet credit should be given because wow, this is one excellent cookie. It was a soft and chewy chocolate cookie, rolled in pecans to get that perfect crunch.
Then, the soft caramel thumbprint center really completes this cookie treat. It may be my new favourite, along with these classic Soft Ginger Cookies.
These turtle thumbprint cookies is for all the chocolate and caramel lover out there. It deserves to be the top of the list for holiday baking, and of course baking exchanges.
There might be more steps to make this when compared to regular chocolate cookies – yet it’s so worth it.
Compared to Turtles chocolates, these cookies resemble it in taste, yet are much softer and chewy. It is a cookie after all.
How do you make Turtle Cookies?
These Caramel Pecan Turtle Cookies have a few steps yet are simple to make.
First you make the cookie dough and then let chill in the fridge for an hour, to ensure they come out chewy in the end.
Then you roll the dough balls in beaten egg whites then chopped bits of pecans.
Place balls onto a parchment lined baking sheet and use a small measuring spoon to make an indent in the centre. This indent will have to be made one more time after baking.
This thumbprint is where you pour the melted caramel once the cookies are baked.
Since it’s melted caramel and cream, the caramel won’t harden up yet will stay soft and gooey.
Can you freeze Turtle Cookies?
Yes, you can absolutely freeze turtle cookies. Simply take out how ever many you need, allow to thaw and enjoy!
Personally I like to refrigerate them myself, as they tend to go very fast. I put some in small tins in the fridge and when the craving strikes, you can take out one by one and enjoy.
Right out of the fridge the caramel centres are soft and gooey too, which is nice.
If you make only one holiday cookie this year, make it these chewy turtle cookies. of course I’m also partial to my other favourite holiday treats like Maple Pecan Butter Tarts, Chocolate Pecan Tart, and Classic Pecan Pie Bars.
Can you tell I have a mad-love for pecans during the holidays?
All of these mentioned won’t disappoint whether they are for yourself or for holiday parties.
For a cookie that tastes like a classic candy enjoyed for generations, enjoy this recipe.
Chewy moist chocolate, gooey soft caramel and crunchy pecans – really, what more could you want in a cookie?!
- 1 cup Flour
- 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg yolk
- 3 tbsp Milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup Pecans, finely chopped
FOR CARAMEL FILLING
- 16 Caramel Candies
- 3 tsp Heavy Cream
- Combine flour and cocoa and set aside
- Using a mixer on medium, combine butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in egg yolk, milk and vanilla extract and mix again. On low, stir in the flour mixture until combined.
- Wrap the dough ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour
- Once the dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat the egg whites in a small bowl and have finely chopped pecans in another bowl. Roll dough into 1" round balls, then dip each ball into the beaten egg whites then roll in the pecans. Place each one on parchment paper lined baking pan about 2" apart.
- Using the back of a small round teaspoon measuring spoon, indent the middle of each dough ball.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes then take out of the oven and gently re-make the indents.
- Microwave the cream and caramel in a small bowl, stirring after 20 second increments. Once melted, use a small spoon to pour the caramel mixture into each cookie indent.
- Allow to cool for another couple of minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 24 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 139Saturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 56mgCarbohydrates: 16gSugar: 10gProtein: 1g