Kentucky Apple Skillet Cake is sometimes referred to as a Bourbon Skillet Cake. With apples, pecans and that bourbon taste, this easy dessert skillet is country meets french!
Kentucky Apple Skillet Cake
Of all the places I’ve been, I have to say one of my top favourites is when I went to Kentucky with my daughter for her athletics competition. I had no idea I’d fall in love with the area, vibe, food and drink. I look forward to another trip one day.
While this recipe isn’t one that I tried while there, making it always makes me think of this trip. Don’t you love how some recipes bring on that strong emotion and memories?
Making Kentucky Apple Skillet Cake is also a great excuse to pull out my Mom’s old cast iron skillet. I don’t use it as much as I’d like, but when I do, I’m again reminded of memories, tradition and comfort.
More often than not, I’m using it to make a cast iron skillet cake. I think this is why I make my Salted Caramel Skillet Brownies so often.
Back to this particular dessert? Well, it’s a french apple cake meets Kentucky bourbon country. Let me tell you, this combination is a fantastic one!
This cake has that crackly top and custardy center which is so perfect for fall and winter. Served warm, it goes with chilly evening, football. crisp air and a warm fire. It’s the same comforting effect that results from a classic apple crisp with warm vanilla sauce. YUM!
While you can omit the bourbon from this recipe, it’s still delicious without. Yet add it in and you’ll see that it’s mild and gives a distinct and warming flavour. Because, whisky.
Top this cake with ice cream, butter pecan is my fave. Now you have an over the top dessert cake which will leave you wanting more. This cake is like magic, my friends!
- 3 small apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 tbsp bourbon whiskey
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a large oven-proof skillet with cooking spray.
- Combine apples, pecans, and bourbon in a medium bowl and stir.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together butter and 1 cup sugar in the bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla extract and mix again.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl until combined. Add dry ingredients and sour cream to the stand mixer and mix just until combined.
- Turn off the stand mixer and fold in apple mixture. Pour into the prepared skillet and spread evenly. Sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar on top of the batter and bake for 35-40 minutes, until fully cooked.
- Let cool in the pan and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 6 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 569 Saturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 112mg Sodium: 140mg Carbohydrates: 75g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 50g Protein: 6g