This Oriental Chicken Salad is an Applebee’s copycat recipe. It’s a tasty salad with a homemade asian inspired dressing. This Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad is so fresh, delicious, and good for you!
Oriental Chicken Salad
I just have to say, Oriental Chicken Salad recipe has quickly become one of my all time favourite salads next to Ramen Noodle Salad. Also, that was decided at first taste. AMAZING just doesn’t cut it.
From the flavorful dressing to the different textures and fresh flavors, this is one perfect salad that is best as a main meal. Being a copycat recipe, it’s restaurant quality, yet made so easily at home.
When I first served this Applebee’s oriental salad recipe, my kids were disappointed that I didn’t make more and immediately requested that I make it the next day as well.
I’d consider a salad request a huge deal. Years later it’s still my kids favorite salad among many.
The secret that makes this salad great is the combined textures, from the fresh lettuce to the crunch of the chicken, chow mein noodles and sesame seeds.
You’ll be able to tell by the photos, I totally forgot to add the chow mein noodles when I took photos, and realized after I was done and eating. Not wanting to stop eating, I shrugged my shoulders and decided the photos could do without.
While the addition of the crunchy chow mein noodles and the sesame seeds are totally optional. They do add a nice crunch to the salad, so I do recommend.
A big draw to this recipe though is the homemade oriental dressing, the flavour isn’t comparable to any other and gives this salad recipe that kick it needs.
Also important to note, is how easy this is to make, even more so if you have leftover crispy chicken strips on hand. I’ve learned my lesson, make double so another salad can be more easily made the next day. It’s really the only meal prep you have to do ahead of time, to make this for later.
How to make Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad
You’ll need the following ingredients to make applebees oriental chicken salad with the signature applebees oriental chicken salad dressing:
- romaine lettuce
- red cabbage
- crispy chicken fingers
- green onions
- sesame seeds
- crispy chow mein noodles
- rice wine vinegar
- dijon mustard
To Make: This may look like a lot of ingredients for a salad, yet it is an easy meal to make. If your chicken fingers aren’t already cooked, do so as per package instructions. In a large bowl, combine the romaine, cabbage, carrots and green onions.
Prepare the dressing by adding all dressing ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk until smooth.
Place the salad onto a plate or deep bowl, add the chow mein noodles and place cooked chicken pieces on top. Sprinkle with desired amount of dressing and top with some sesame seeds. They aren’t necessary, yet they add to the texture.
Variations for Oriental Chicken Salad:
- I love using crispy chicken tenders for this crunchy salad recipe, yet for a lighter salad, feel free to use cooked shredded chicken breasts pieces. You can also utilize rotisserie chicken for this recipe as well. So it’s a great way to use up leftover chicken and a cooked chicken breast waiting for a new recipe.
- I like to use a darker leaf which is why I use romaine. Yet feel free to use iceberg lettuce if that is what you have on hand.
- I use red cabbage to give this salad it’s amazing colour, but if you only have green cabbage, that would work in a pinch.
- If you will have leftovers, store the salad, dressing and topping separately into a few airtight container. This is also the way you can send this salad for lunches.
How to Make Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad Dressing:
- Applebee’s has the most amazing salad dressing on their oriental chicken salad. The dressing is amazing. I don’t think you can buy a bottle of this dressing, yet it is so easy to make it at home. All you need is honey, rice wine vinegar, mayonnaise and dijon mustard. The full dressing recipe for this delicious homemade dressing is in the recipe card below. It’s a printable card, so print and keep to make it often.
Made this crunchy asian chicken salad recipe at home as a main meal, for a fraction of the cost when compared to ordering in a restaurant.
This Applebee’s copycat oriental chicken salad recipe is one I’ll make time and time again. Really, if you take away anything in this delicious chinese chicken salad – it’s just to simply try it. It has become a perfect salad with crunchy noodles and chunks of chicken. A perfect recipe and delicious salad to suit all our family’s tastes.
Also check out this BBQ Chicken Salad, it’s another copycat entree salad like our applebee’s oriental chicken salad that will leave you full, and happy!
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 4 crispy chicken fingers, sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- sesame seeds for topping
- 1/3 cup crispy chow mein noodles, optional
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 2.5 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup mayonaise
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- If the chicken fingers aren't already cooked, do so as per package instructions
- Toss the romaine, cabbage, carrots and green onions into a mixing bowl to make the salad
- Prepare the dressing by adding all dressing ingredients into a bowl and whisking until smooth
- Place salad on a plate or bowl, add the chow mein noodles if desired, place cooked chicken pieces on top and sprinkle with desired amount of dressing. Top with some sesame seeds as desired, which are mainly a nice touch but I think they also add to the texture to make this salad great.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 2 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 448Saturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 418mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 25gProtein: 23g