Bell Pepper Stuffed Tacos are baked with your favourite taco toppings inside, a great low-carb and low-calorie meal or appetizer option. With this no-fuss recipe, pre-cooking the bell peppers is not necessary.
Bell Pepper Stuffed Tacos
A couple of days ago I posted one low-carb taco option that we had for dinner one evening, Taco Lettuce Wraps.
The other was *insert drumroll*, Bell Pepper Stuffed Tacos!
I’m not sure which of these variations was my favourite, and my girls couldn’t decide either. They say that the most healthy of foods are the most colourful, and Bell Pepper Stuffed Tacos sure are colourful and just plain fun to eat.
I think I enjoyed taking photos of these too much, it’s one of the few times the girls hovered during a recipe photo session and complained about me taking too long.
Once I gave the go-ahead, hundreds of snaps later as I do, they started eating among the photo props as to not wait any longer.
Bell Pepper Stuffed Tacos are very easy to make, and takes little time to prep and cook. You simply stuff your favourite taco toppings into half of a bell pepper and bake to perfection.
I chose to use the large bell peppers yet I think next time I’ll try making this recipe with the mini ones to make bite sized pieces. How great would this be for a party appetizer too?!
When fresh out of the oven you can pick them up and eat them as a finger food, yet we re-heated the leftovers the next day and some sogginess in the peppers meant a fork and knife was required.
I think the mini ones will prevent this, and thus turn a meal into a nice little appetizer option as well. Bonus!
This recipe is a great one to add to the rotation for a change from the the same old. The taste, crunch, colour, and for a heathy swap!
Here’s the easy recipe, enjoy my friends!
And if you are looking for another great Mexican recipe to add to your rotation, check out these Creamy Chicken Enchiladas.
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1/3 cup taco seasoning
- 1 cup chopped lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup shredded cheese of choice
- sour cream and salsa to top, if desired
- Pre-heat oven to 400F
- Brown ground meat in a pan until cooked, stir in the taco seasoning and water and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Slice each bell pepper in half and remove the stem and seeds, and place them on a cookie sheet or in a baking pan
- Fill each bell pepper with lettuce, taco meat mixture and top with tomatoes and cheese. You can also add other preferred topping such as avocado, cilantro, jalapeños etc.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is browning. Top with sour cream and salsa if you wish before eating. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 8 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Saturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 268mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 14g