This delicious and healthy Tuscan Barley Soup is a whole meal in itself. Full of delicious vegetables and low-fat turkey sausages, this soup is very easy to make and ready within 60 minutes.
Also check out my Stuffed Tuscan Chicken recipe!
Tuscan Barley Soup
I love whole meal soups! If you’re like me, I suggest you have a look at my One Pot Lasagna Soup, it is delicious.
There’s nothing is more comforting than having a large bowl of a hearty, chunky soup. Then having a second one, because you decided you’re going to eat soup, and only soup for dinner. I do this often with my Loaded Baked Potato Soup.
TUSCAN BARLEY SOUP WITH TURKEY SAUSAGES
Most soups won’t do the trick, but I promise this one won’t leave you hungry.
Filled with satisfying, slow-cooked vegetables and roasted turkey sausages, this whole meal soup is all you’ll need for dinner or lunch.
Which barley is best for soup? Pearl barley is what you need to use for the best results.
For the paleo and gluten-free options, simply replace barley with white rice. You won’t be disappointed, I promise.
This recipe is an adaptation of a recipe from Giada De Laurentiis. I gave it my own twist by making it easier to make, with simpler ingredients.
Did you like my version of this delicious soup recipe? Please tell me in the comments section below!
And then check out my Easy French Onion Soup. It’s simple, classic and perfect for those cold winter nights.
- 10 cups chicken stock (or broth)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 cup cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch long pieces
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves or chopped kale
- 1 cup turkey sausages, cooked and sliced
- 1 cup pearl barley (white rice for the paleo/gluten-free option)
- 1 tbsp dried Italian spice mix (or dried basil/oregano)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (for topping)
- Heat 2 tbsp olive in a large pot.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive in a large pot.2. Slice turkey sausages and roast the slices on both sides over medium heat, until thoroughly cooked. About 8-10 minutes. You can remove the skin, although this is completely optional. Set aside.
- In the same pot, roast barley (or white rice) for 4-5 minutes over medium heat, constantly stirring
- Add onion, celery, cabbage, carrots and allow to sweat for 5 minutes, constantly stirring
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until barley (or white rice) is tender.
- Serve with fresh chopped parsley on top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 people
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 547 Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 39mg Sodium: 1078mg Carbohydrates: 71g Fiber: 11g Sugar: 15g Protein: 27g