Comforting Thai Pumpkin and Coconut Soup has a bit of kick from curry paste and plenty of creaminess from yummy coconut milk. Delicious indeed, and a Thai pumpkin soup you’ll definitely want to try!
Thai Pumpkin and Coconut Soup
The weather is cooling down fast and snow is already falling in some places, or in our case – all over the place. This means it is comforting soup season, and right now I’m simply crazy about fresh homemade soups!
This Thai Pumpkin and Coconut Soup is a recipe that is intended for cook evenings. It’s definitely one to try and make again and again – creamy and delicious in every bite!
The truth is, soup is the perfect way to get a fix of comfort food without eating a super heavy, creamy meal. This amazing Thai-style Curried Pumpkin Soup definitely ticks the comforting, warming, and filling boxes without weighing you down.
At first I wasn’t sure if the combination was going to be as good as I had hoped. Turns out, it’s now a favourite in our house!
How do you make Thai pumpkin soup?
Making this Pumpkin Coconut Soup is really easy, the trick is to add ingredients so the flavour mixes with each other perfectly before the next step. First comes the onion then the pumpkin and potato, curry paste then vegetables. A grand finish is with the creamy goodness of the coconut milk. Garnish with the mixture of peanuts, coriander, green onion and lime juice – perfection!
With each step the soup becomes more and more fragrant, it’s a smell that will warm the house and your senses before your belly.
This soup has a bit of kick from curry pasta and plenty of creaminess from yummy coconut milk. If super spicy soup isn’t for you, you can substitute the curry paste for curry powder and add green onions instead of chives.
Thai Pumpkin and Coconut Soup is a unique and flavourful soup that will have you wanting more, and one that will impress your family, company and especially yourself.
Follow the recipe below for the next time you want a comforting bowl of soup on a chilly evening. Regular soup will be so boring after trying this delicious recipe. Bonus points because it makes you feel like a world-class chef!
So, have you ever tried a soup like Thai Pumpkin and Coconut before?
Comforting Thai Pumpkin and Coconut Soup has a bit of kick from curry paste and plenty of creaminess from yummy coconut milk. Delicious indeed!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2.5 lb butternut squash, or butternut pumpkin as some call it peeled, chopped
- .25 lb white baby potatoes peeled, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/4 cup Thai red curry paste or curry powder
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted roasted peanuts finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp chives or green onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Heat oil in a saucepan at medium-high heat. Cook onion, for 5 minutes or until softened, make sure to stir occasionally.
- Add pumpkin and the potato to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic. and still cook, stirring for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the curry paste to pan and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes and the vegetables are coated all over.
- Add the stock, stirring to combine. Cover and then bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and allow the mixture to simmer for a 20-25 minutes longer, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat. Stand for 5 minutes.
- Blend soup until smooth using a stick blender then return to medium heat and stir in 1 cup coconut milk. Season with pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 to 6 minutes or until heated through.
- While soup cooks, combine peanuts, coriander, green onion and lime juice in a small bowl. Ladle soup into bowls and serve drizzled with remaining coconut milk and with peanut mixture sprinkled on top.