Baked Grapefruit with Oaty Crumble recipe – Warm, juicy red grapefruit, topped with a sweet, crunchy oat crumble. Perfect for a light and tasty breakfast!
Baked Grapefruit with Oaty Crumble
If you are looking for a delicious camping breakfast, check out this great BBQ idea which is just as easily made at home!
Right now, I’m still trying to decide if these baked grapefruits should be classed as a slightly naughty breakfast, or a slightly healthy pudding. To be fair, I could eat them at any time of the day.
Ruby red grapefruits are topped with a mini-mountain of sweet, oat crumble (I think you guys call it streusel, which always makes me think of strudel – so confusing J).
Baking the grapefruits sweetens the centre ever so slightly, but you’re still left with a sharp, juicy centre that tastes amazing with the crunchy, sweet topping.
You can stop right there, but if you wanted to take it a little further, spoon on a little Greek yogurt and honey and you’ll be in breakfast (or pudding) heaven!
My daughter loves these so much, I’ve started keeping a bag of the crumble topping in the freezer, so I can make individual ones whenever I like. If you wanted to do this, simply make extra topping, place it in a freezer bag and freeze.
It shouldn’t clump together, which means you can spoon the mixture right on the grapefruit (from frozen) whenever the craving strikes.
I hope you enjoy the recipe – and I’d love to know whether you’d make it for breakfast or pudding!
- 2 large red-flesh grapefruits
- ¾ stick chilled unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup whole rolled oats
- 4 tsp Greek yogurt
- 4 tsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 400f
- Slice the grapefruits in half and run a sharp knife around the inside of each segment - so the segments can be easily released after cooking. Place the grapefruit halves cut-side-up on a baking tray.
- Place the cold chunks of butter in a bowl and pour over the flour. Use your fingers to rub the butter and flour together until you have breadcrumbs. It’s fine to leave some larger chunks of butter in there – you’ll get a lighter texture if the ‘breadcrumbs’ are uneven.
- Pour the sugar and oats into the bowl with the butter and flour, and mix together. Spoon the mixture on top of the grapefruit halves. Place in the oven for 15-18 minutes until the crumble is golden brown.
- Take out of the oven and top each grapefruit half with Greek yogurt and honey before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 316Saturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 154mgCarbohydrates: 38gSugar: 22gProtein: 2g