As the Mom of the house, I have many tasks and duties to complete each and every day. My to-do list is great and the schedule is jam-packed, which doesn’t leave time each day to reserve for a lot of cleaning. But I don’t need to preach to the choir, right? Many reading this will be shouting ‘AMEN!’.
Thing is, unless you tackle the little messes each day, they can easily become big disasters. That paper pile in the kitchen grows quickly, the toys appear out of nowhere, and the kids spill whatever they can and at every turn.
For instance, twice a day there’s the toothpaste explosion from the twins trying to spit into the sink. (I’ll never know how they manage to hit the mirror despite craning their necks toward the basin.) Then little toothpaste-rimmed mouths are wiped on every towel within reach, so those need changing daily too. Also, since this is a house of 4 girls plus one puppy, there are always stray strands of hair to vacuum.
It’s true that the task of cleaning is boring, thankless, and sometimes a horrible job, yet, alas it must be done. Especially since we have a new puppy in the house, we have no choice but to stay on top of ‘tidiness’, since he gets into and nibbles on everything. Yet recall that I don’t have a lot of time to spare, so when it comes to everyday tidying of the house, I’ve developed some shortcuts.
Tips for Keeping a Clean House with Little Effort
1. Have less stuff – The more stuff you have, the more time you are spending in caring for it. The solution to not having to constantly clean or put something away, is to ask yourself if you really need it. Tired of a few jackets tumbling out of the closet when you grab one off the hanger? Perhaps it’s time to sort through items and donate and discard as needed. The endgame is knowing that fewer items cluttering a space means the space will stay tidy and clean longer. So sing it with me, ‘Let it go!’
2. Everything has a home – Reduce the clutter and piles of ‘stuff’ laying around by designating a home for each object. Make it a habit to return items to their home immediately after use. If something doesn’t have a true home, go back to tip #1 and decide if said item is needed.
3. Tidy Throughout The Day – To avoid having to dedicate a chunk of time to cleaning, scan and clean as you go. Before I go downstairs with the laundry, I glance around the room and see if there’s anything that belongs downstairs that I can also return to its home. You’re making the trip anyway, so make it a productive one. Another example: before leaving a room, make sure there’s nothing you’re leaving behind that can go with you to the next. Soon, tidying throughout the day will become habit, and you won’t even realize just how much cleaning you are doing with very little effort.
4. Keep Cleaning Supplies Where They are Needed – You might delay cleaning if what you need for the task is in another area of the house. Instead of keeping it all in one place, share the love where it’s needed. It’ll save time, energy, and there’s no excuse in not getting the job done.
5. Multitask – Use your time wisely and multitask throughout the day. My favourite is to empty the dishwasher while waiting for the water to boil or for something to be defrosted in the microwave. Another is reaching into that bathroom cabinet for the spray and a rag, and cleaning the mirrors and sink while I wait for the tub to be filled so the girls can bathe. Why stand there waiting when you can do two things at once and then be on your way? Done and done.
6. Choose your Products Carefully – Use those products that do the work for you, so you don’t have to. For instance, I just started using Lysol Click Gel on my toilets in between deep cleans. One package comes with a four-week supply. To use, simply press the gel applicator against the dry toilet bowl until it clicks and the gel is affixed to the bowl. With every flush, the water that refills the bowl distributes the gel, which continually cleans the toilet each time.
Easy to use, this efficient Lysol product does the cleaning for you and delivers continuous cleanliness and freshness for up to 1 week. Since we have 3 bathrooms in our home, that’s a whole lot of cleaning time saved. Plus, Lysol Click Gel has a nice Lavender scent that is a most welcome smell for everyone that enters the room.
Have any other tips to share?
NEW Lysol® Click Gel™ keeps toilets clean & fresh…with just one click.
Simply press the Lysol® Click Gel™ applicator against the inside of your toilet bowl until it clicks, and let Lysol do the cleaning for you. With every flush, this product delivers continuous clean and freshness for up to 1 week.
Keeping your toilet clean and fresh has never been easier. Visit Lysol.ca for details and coupons.
Disclosure: This post was brought to you by Lysol® brand of RB Canada via Mode Media Canada.
The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Lysol brand.