Do you love your lentils?
This is why you should!
- There are 8.5 grams of fibre and 7 grams of protein in just half a cup of cooked Canadian lentils.
- Canadian Lentils are an excellent source of the micronutrients folate and iron, and a good source of selenium and zinc.
Canadian Lentils Facts:
- The most common types of lentils grown in Canada are green and red. Also grown in Canada are black Beluga and French Green lentils.
- In 2013 over 2.4 million acres of lentils were planted in Canada by over 5,000 lentil growers, resulting in 1.8 million tonnes of lentils being produced.
- Canada is the world’s leading exporter of lentils, exporting a total value of $1.1 billion in lentils in 2013.
- Saskatchewan is the largest lentil-growing province, accounting for 95 per cent of total Canadian production.
- India is the biggest importer of Canadian green lentils and Turkey is the biggest importer of Canadian red lentils.
One person who loves his lentils is Food Network Host, Nutritional Activist, Food Media Producer – Chef Michael Smith!
One of Canada’s best-known chefs is a passionate advocate for simple, sustainable home cooking and an inspiration for families creating their own healthy food lifestyle. He’s a judge on Chopped Canada and travels around the world for his innovative new web series Lentil Hunter!
I’m a huge fan of Chef Michael Smith and tune into Chopped regularily. I can’t wait to see what Lentil goodness he discovers and most importantly, add some new lentil recipes to my collection!
Want to help celebrate this new venture?
Come to the #LentilHunter Twitter Party with Chef Micheal Smith!
- Date: Tuesday May 13, 2014
- Time: 9:00pm EST pm EST
- Hashtag: #LentilHunter
- Host: @ChefMichaelSmith
- Moderators: @CDNLentils – @FoodBloggersCA – @ShesConnected
- Prizing: Three (3 ) Vanity bags (Value$40 each), Three (3) Carry on Bags- (Value $140 each); Three 3- Large suitcases (Value $220 each); Ten (10) – Signed” Back to Basics: 100 Simple Classic Recipes with a Twist” by Chef Michael Smith – (Value $32 each)
RSVP HERE! Hope to see you there!
Twubs Page: http://twubs.com/lentilhunter