One Dino-Mite Night at the Royal Tyrrell Museum

The Royal Tyrrell Museum is a popular Canadian tourist attraction in Drumheller, Alberta. The location also referred to as ‘the badlands’, the Tyrrell Museum is a leading centre of palaeontological research noted for its collection of more than 40 dinosaur skeletons with more than 110,000 fossil specimens.

While we have visited this museum many times as a family, my daughter went for the first time with her Girl Guides Troop, and also slept over as part of their Camp-In Program.

A pretty cool trip for kids, she came home raving about everything she learned and saw while there. She is especially proud of the soft fossil she made of a tooth, curently placed on her bedroom shelf with her most prized possessions.

Yet when asked how she liked actually sleeping there, she was a bit hesitant to say it was the greatest. Trying to sleep when a dinosaur Skeleton hovering above you was, “…different and a little creepy, Mom..”. Yet, an incredible experience to say the least.

For her trip, I gave Isabelle a digital camera to capture her own memories. Here is what caught my 8 year olds eye while at the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology. I love that I got to actually see what interested her the most, since I’m the one usually taking the photos.

DSCF4078
This is Shelly, loved so much by Isabelle that she bought a stuffed turtle and named her Shelly!

tyrrell gift shop

dinosaur tyrrell

royal tyrrell museum

fossil

DSCF4075

DSCF4079

DSCF4103

DSCF4101

DSCF4100

DSCF4097

DSCF4095

Save on admission fees by using coupons found in the SUTP as well as their own discounts page online. There is a restaurant at the museum, yet you can pack a lunch, to make your day trip a little more frugal. Each time we go, we have new experiences at the museum, adults and kids alike!.

Comments

1. nathania hunter says:

How cool is that!! I have never seen a dinosaur fossil in person, I will defiantly have to bring my girls here when they start to learn about dinos to!

2. Jennie says:

I didn’t know they had programs like this, good to know for birthdays too!

3. That totally sounds like something my kids would love!

4. My son would love this place!

5. Marina says:

Ooooh, my kids would love to see that dino. Looks like a fun place to visit.

6. Looks like a fun trip! I think my son would love this when he’s a bit older!

We took the twins for the first time when they were around 2 years old, their eyes grew big with every turn! lol

7. What an amazing Museum! My kids would have a blast. They love dinosaurs and are constantly begging to go to a dinosaur museum. We just don’t have one near us.

8. That’s a funny looking turtle. Looks like a great trip and lots of fun.

It is! I need to look up more about this little guy, Isabelle still talks about this turtle all the time!

9. Darwin says:

My son is in a dino phase right now and I wish they had this exhibit in Vancouver. Looks amazing.

10. Dreena says:

We’ve been several times. It is an excellent museum!
    Glad your daughter enjoyed her time with the Girl Guides.
    Cheers.

11. What a neat place to take the kids. When I was younger my brother was so into dinosaurs. We spent a lot of time at places like this growing up.

Trackbacks

1. […] her Girl Guides troop, my daughter went to the Royal Tyrrell Museum as well. She shared her experience with me for this post, the first one that she […]