April Fools Joke – Blessed Backfire

April Fools Day will always bring one huge smile to my face and be a common topic of conversation in our family for many years. Even though we do not participate in the trickery anymore.

How come?

At 20 weeks pregnant {on march 29, 2008}, I posted this 1st photo of my belly bump on my personal Facebook page.

mychaos-twins

The comments came flooding in of congrats and many ‘wows’ over how far along I already looked. Friends and family naturally questioned whether I was in fact, carrying twins. Yet, our doctor felt one baby in there and heard one heartbeat, so we were quick to dismiss the rumours.

My 1st ultrasound was scheduled for that week, and everyone knew about it. So, hubby and I thought of the perfect April Fools Joke to play on everyone. So, he posted this as his Facebook status:

Screen shot 2013-03-29 at 8.30.59 PM

Everyone bought it and we had a great laugh all day long.

That is, until we went to the ultrasound on April 3rd 2008 and we discovered that we were, in fact, EXCEPTING MULTIPLES!

Our dominant twin {Sophia} was hiding her sister all that time, and their heartbeats were in sync so only 1 was heard. I do regret not having a hidden camera in the tech room that day when we found out. I’m sure our mouths stayed open in shock for quite some time. All of a sudden it all clicked, especially not being able to fit into my usual pants at 8 weeks along.

Don’t get me wrong, it was a totally happy, brilliant and double-blessed surprise. Yet the {April Fools} joke was certainly on us.

Comments

1. Soozle says:

Sounds like the perfect joke :-)

2. Oh my gosh – that’s too cute! Did people believe you the second time around?

• Ha, at first no, they thought we were following up on the joke! But it did make total sense after we had to do a lot of convincing. I got a lot of ‘this whole situation is unbelievable!!!” comments. ;P

3. Brenda says:

Good memories; so blessed

4. That is pretty funny. Thanks for sharing this memorable ‘prank’ with us. Gotta laugh even though the joke was on y’all. hehe
    Blessings,
    Shan
    The How to Guru

5. What a delightful posting (and a lovely surprise)! So no more jokes eh?!

6. Tracey says:

That is priceless, what a great joke to have backfire. You have such a blessed family!

7. Olivia Cain says:

By far the best April Fools story, I can just imagine everyone’s shock!

8. hehehe that’s a good one!

9. Such a great April Fools joke all around *grins* Congrats on the Twins!

10. Teresa M. says:

A very good April Fool’s Day joke but the surprise 2 days later! You are blessed :)

11. Great memory, thank for sharing!

12. That’s so funny! I’m glad it all worked out. To think if you would have had triplets! Twins are a lot of work; I can’t imagine adding another!

Usually I play a joke on my students. I have a handout ready to pass out. I give them a 15 page paper to write. They are art students. They are never happy with that. Some get really mad. That is until I tell them it’s April Fools Day.

That’s a good one! I didn’t even tell my oldest that it was April Fools, I knew she’d be doing things to us all day long. Yeah I ruined fun, it would have been constant! lol

13. Aw, what a very sweet April Fool’s Day joke both given by you and hubby and RECEIVED by you guys as well ;)

14. Cheryl Grandy says:

It’s nice that you found out now instead of at the birth. But . . . maybe there’s another one in there! Congratulations!