Facebook Charging for Status Updates

Recall my post two weeks ago about Facebook Charging for Status Updates? Well, it seems that these new changes have taken affect, and I’m not too happy about it.

See this on my Fanpage?

What’s that Facebook? … {who is busy twirling his moustache with an evil grin}
Let’s look closer:

Oh I see, so Facebook has hidden my updates to most of my fans. Yet, for a price of up to $30, I can FORCE that particular status into my fans’ newsfeeds and thus freeing them from hostage. Shame on you, Facebook!

We all know each Facebook change comes with much criticism but this has to be the lowest. And it’s also funny that I’m not offered to buy for ALL my fans to see either, just a percentage.

In the world of blogging, business, marketing and social media advertising – where does this lead? Will some in my line of work start charging companies they work with, a ‘Facebook Promoting Fee‘ to have certain status updates promoted? Meh, I’m sure it’ll happen, but in my opinion it’s word of mouth and not I’m-paying-to-shove-this-in-your-face.

I guess we’ll start to notice when you see an update constantly at the top of your home page. Don’t worry my hard-earned and wonderful fans, I won’t be stooping so low as to push some cash under the door so that you choke on my updates. That would be rude!

As my Facebook Fan {or anyone else’s for that matter}, how do you feel about having your news and updates hidden not by your choice, then auctioned off at a set price?

Likewise, If you have a fanpage I’d love to know your opinion on what this means for your page.

To hopefully allow you to keep seeing my Facebook Fanpage updates, make sure to ‘Like’ my posts from time to time and even click that little ‘FB like button’ you see below this post. For the time being anyway, it just might work to free you from Facebook-Hostage. Well, that is until FB charges users for the network altogether … it has to come sometime!

Other ways to connect with My Organized Chaos: Twitter and Google+ and even get your updates by email or RSS.

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk…..

Comments

1. Boo! This is dirty.

2. chris says:

Not surprising. Look at the timing. Also, consider the stock is starting to tank after only a week or so. Stupid to offer stock on something which isn’t tangible – there is nothing “real” about FB. They have to make money for the shareholders.

Well said, Chris. If this doesn’t get the results they are hoping for – what’s next?

• chris says:

Probably a phasing out of FB for something “shinier and brighter” – and hopefully not followed up with silly stock options with nothing to back them.

3. I’m not too happy about this either. I’m not paying it. I don’t need another expense.

4. That is ridiculous and highly annoying. I’m off to check my page now. I have really focused on FB for following purposes and if FB is hiding my posts, I see it was for nothing. I may have to start putting more energy towards G+. Crap.

5. Hmm, my first reaction was very negative. I thought, what happened to “Facebook is free and always will be”? And yeah, the whole thing seemed kind of sleezy.

FB claims this change won’t affect the current behaviour/exposure of unpromoted posts, but it inherently will if promoted posts are constantly being pushed ahead.

Then I thought, if FB handled it like Kijiji, clearly separating/labelling sponsored posts, this wouldn’t be too bad. Given many business have their main (or only) presence on FB now, I see how this could have appeal. But if it all comes at the expense of smothering out posts which are not promoted, I’m not a “fan”.

6. I don’t think FB has hidden your fans. Is that not for reaching NEW fans? Similar to the ad campaigns they had before?

• I think it has to do with letting your existing fans see your updates. “Get more people who like your Page to see this post” It seems they don’t let all of your Likees see it.
      Kind of rude, eh?

Yes, I think that’s what’s going on. It says that a % of my fans see it, and if you want more to – here’s the cost. Just terrible….

7. It is frustrating for website owners like us that spent time building their readers on Facebook. But this company is looking at alternative revenue models – can’t just charge for ads.

That’s right Steve. They have ads and always have. If we wanted that promotion, we would have. This is one way to almost force ads.

8. Tania Smith says:

Not only is it disgusting, it’s sad.

9. It’s sad. But so many of us have been reeping the rewards of free Facebook for a long time, so I saw this coming.
    I certainly will not pay, but I know people will.
    And I still saw this facebook post hit my wall, so even if you didn’t pay to “shove it down my throat” I still got it. That makes me happy :)

Yay for seeing it in your feed, Tricia. Glad you did!
      And it’s true, some will pay – just like some pay or use bots to gain their Fans. Such a shame for those that have played fair from the beginning.

10. As someone who has a few accounts on FB, both personal and business…I certainly will NOT pay for updates to be seen. FB has gotten too big for their britches (big-boy panties) and while I understand all businesses need to make money….FB is already making more than they will ever need in that department.

Regarding the person who mentioned Google+…absolutely hate Google+ and I try not to use it.

I am hoping some other kind of social media networking site will hit the scene in the next few months and we can all kiss FB goodbye

• Myself says:

@Shelly
      Britches actually = pants. It stems from “Breeches” .
      It doesn’t refer to undergarments or “big boy panties”.

Thank you.

11. That’s terrible. But it explains a lot. I run a Mom to Mom Sale and we have a fan page that we use to help promote the sale. For our recent spring sale, it seemed like nothing we did on Facebook reached our fans. Now I know why!

Oh no Nancy!!
      That’s just terrible. You know, people become fans to get the updates, and now not even that works. Just sad for those that work so hard setting up their pages

12. This means death to my little facebook fan page! I really can’t and won’t pay to have my fans see my status updates. Sigh. Sadness

13. I’m with SassyModernMom on this one, my fledgling FB page will die a quick death at this rate.

14. This is so frustrating, there is no way I will pay to reach more of my fans. Not only is this upsetting for my fan page for my blog, but also for my readers who may or may not see stuff because I choose to not “shove it down their throats”. I agree, people become fans of pages to see info about the business, blog etc.

I will not be joining this bandwagon but sadly some well, and Facebook will likely leave it as is for now unless it becomes a complete failure. Who knows where the future of Facebook is going????

Trackbacks

1. [...] 500 Index.What they have done to immediately show increased revenue (like LinkedIn), is to start charging page owners  to have their Facebook pages promoted to their fans’ newsfeeds.Here is an example of what [...]

2. [...] UPDATE: Facebook Promoting free take effect [...]