Household Help, Food and Cooking Secrets

In Kitchen Tips and Tricks, I covered ways to save time and money when cooking. That post listed ways to maximize the life of foods and help save a meal that’s heading for disaster. In this post, Household Help, Food and Cooking Secrets, I offer more household help in the form of food and cooking secrets. Better ways to shop, smart ways to store and little secrets to stretch that grocery budget.

1. Peel a banana from the bottom instead of the top and you won’t have to pick the stringy things off of it. That’s how primates peel their bananas!

2. Banana Ripening: If you leave Bananas connected at the stem, they ripen faster than if you take them apart.

3. Peppers with 3 bumps on the bottom are sweeter and better for eating raw.

4. Peppers with 4 bumps on the bottom are firmer and better for cooking.

5. Garlic: Add garlic immediately to a recipe if you want a light garlic taste and if you want a strong taste, add it at the end.

6. Cheese: If you store your opened chunks of cheese in aluminum foil, it will stay fresh much longer and not mold.

7. Reheating Pizza: Heat leftover pizza in a nonstick skillet on top of the stove. Use low-med heat until warm. This keeps the crust crispy unlike soggy pizza that results from microwave heating.

8. Easy Deviled Eggs: Put cooked egg yolks in a zip lock bag. Seal and mash till they are all broken up. Then, add remainder of ingredients, reseal and keep mashing it up until mixed. Then, cut the bottom corner of the bag to make a tip and pipe mixture into the egg. Throw away bag for easy clean afterward.

9. Doubling the Frosting: When you buy a container of cake frosting from the store, whip it with the mixer and it doubles in size. That way, you not only get to frost more of the cake {bang for the buck!}, but it also cuts down on the calories per serving.

10. Unclump Brown Sugar Fast: To keep brown sugar from clumping, we all know to put apple wedges or a bread crust in the bag with the sugar. But what if you need the sugar NOW and it’s clumped? Place the dried-out brown sugar in a microwave-safe bowl and top with a slice of fresh bread or a damp paper towel. Then, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and microwave it in 15-second intervals until the sugar is moist and easy to scoop.

Do you have any more Food and Cooking Secrets to share?

(c) Can Stock Photo

Comments

1. Sheila Foley says:

wow…really great tips…thanks!

2. Tammi, I’ve been cooking for many years but hadn’t heard of many of these tips, namely #’s 1, 2, 3 ,4, 6, 7 and 9…{lol} these are great, thanks for sharing them. {I especially love # 9!}

Ohhh, #9 I did last week, hubby thought I was nuts. But, after he seen it double, he was impressed. Made for a lighter frosting too, not so dense.

3. Karla Sceviour says:

ohh..love # 9..!!!

4. I like that tip for doubling the frosting! I’ll have to try it out! I can’t stand store bought cakes because of the icing… Thanks for the pointers!

The stuff that says ‘cream cheese are my fave, it’s not as sweet as usual stor bought icing. Doubling it also helps too, why waste money, right?

5. brenda says:

Excellent tips; learning something new is wonderful

6. Great tips! Thanks for sharing! :-)

7. Sophia says:

Great tips….I’ll definitely pay more attention to the bottom of peppers when I buy them next time!

8. Ha, that’s so interesting. I never knew either of the things about bananas.
    Cheese never goes moldy here, but nice to know anyways.

9. Staci G. says:

Great tips! Thanks for sharing.

10. Lana Thompson says:

Great tips! Something I learned for berries, if you want to put off spoilage for just a little while longer, wash in some water with a bit of vinegar. The vinegar kills some of the bacteria and may prolong the life just a little bit. I do it with our strawberries. :)

Is that so?!?
      Thanks for the awesome tip, Lana!
      I’ll remember that if I do another post after finding more hidden secrets!

11. A.Smith says:

Oh my gosh I had no idea about the banana from the bottom and the brown sugar – You rock!

I KNOW the banana trick, but honestly, I keep forgetting!! lol
      I grab it and out of habit, start peeling and have done a ‘DOH!’ every time. Habits are hard to break!

• A.Smith says:

More so for some of us because a mere 8 hours after I saw this post I peeled a banana the wrong way. Had the bunch been even a bit riper I would’ve made some banana bread just so I could see this tip in action but they’re under ripe so I’m resorting to a post-it note ;)

Trackbacks

1. [...] More Tips: Household Tips ~ Food & Cooking Secrets [...]

2. [...] whip it to double the amount. Saves money and calories {but who’s counting, right?} This kitchen tip is one of many genius time and money savers in one of my past [...]